Writers on the Avenue is holding a poetry contest for residents of Muscatine and adjacent counties, with prizes available in three categories: adult, teen (13-17), and youth (12 and under). The first prize in the adult category is $25. The deadline for submission is March 30, 2018.
Send 5 poems or up to 5 pages of unpublished work along with a cover sheet listing your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, category, and titles or first line(s) of poems to this email address, or mail to WOTA Poetry Contest, 2614 Imperial Oaks Drive, Muscatine, IA 52761. There is no entry fee.
All entries will be considered for publication in a winners’ anthology tentatively titled From River to River. Complete contest rules are listed below.
If you are not a resident eligible for the contest, but would still like to submit your work for consideration for the anthology, or if you have further questions, please contact us. We look forward to reading your work!
Rules for 2018 Poetry Contest:
- The contest will be open to persons living in Muscatine County and the adjacent counties of Cedar, Scott, Louisa, Johnson in Iowa and Rock Island in Illinois.
- Entrants need not be a member of Writers on the Avenue. There is no entry fee.
- Poems may be entered in one of three categories: Adult (18 and older), Teen (13-17), and Youth (12 and under).
- A maximum of five pages of poetry will be accepted, with standard page formatting (1″ margins, 12 pt font).
- Each entry should include a separate cover page listing the name of author, category entering, mailing address, phone number, email, and titles or first lines of poems being entered. Poems should not contain any identifying information.
- Poems containing profanity or vulgarity will not be considered.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- Prizes will be awarded in the adult division in the amounts of $25/$15/$10 for first, second and third place. Honorable mentions will be awarded. Teen and youth categories will be recognized with $15/$10 cash prizes and honorable mention. Winners will receive publication in an anthology tentatively titled From River to River.
- All entries will be considered by an editorial committee for inclusion in From River to River.